Tuesday, April 8, 2014

MUD

There are so many signs of spring. Robins greet our freshly found, green ground. Sap is circulating inside trees. Buds are beginning to bulge, waiting for their moment to burst. Rivers and creeks flow free from frozen cover. But, perhaps the most magnificent mark of spring is the squishy brown, moist earth we call mud.

Mud for days. Photo credit: Emily Lawson
After a heavy, earth hardening winter a few spring showers soften our soil into a goopy goodness. This transformation from compact to creamy clay creates ideal conditions for one of my favorite groups of animals – amphibians! Mucking around in mud are salamanders, frogs, and toads! Their sensitive skin desires defense against desiccation, or drying out. So, when spring brings wet weather, and I see my first mud puddle I know my permeable companions are not far behind!

A salamander loves the the slimy mud. Photo credit: Tom Meier
A green frog enjoys the mud and sunshine. Photo credit: Tom Meier
Following in amphibian footsteps, mud makes a happy habitat for me. I love squishing mud between my toes, making mud prints with my hands, and masking my face with the milky material! I look forward to meeting with friends in the forest to dine over mud pies and play, eager for the first person to start a mud fight after our imaginary meal.
Swamp day for Baltimore Woods summer campers! Photo credit: Tracy Laszlo
So after the next spring down pour, search for amphibians and slather yourself in the soft earth!

Plenty of mud. Photo credit: Emily Lawson





Blog post by Emily Lawson   

No comments:

Post a Comment